Toughened or tempered glass is a type of safety glass processed by controlled thermal or chemical treatments to increase its strength compared with normal glass. Tempering puts the outer surfaces into compression and the inner surfaces into tension. Such stresses cause the glass, when broken, to crumble into small granular chunks instead of splintering into jagged shards as plate glass (a.k.a. annealed glass) creates. The granular chunks are less likely to cause injury. You can read more about tempered/toughened glass online our previous post on http://glass.com.ng/clear-toughenedtempered-glass/.
After tempering, the stress pattern developed by the glass is high, and the mechanical strength of tempered glass is four to five times higher than that of annealed glass.
When tempered glass is broken, all the stored energy is released at once and the glass breaks into small pieces.
Characteristics of Tempered/Toughened glass:
These characteristics explain why tempered/Toughened glass is 5x stronger and most preferred option which is largely available to buy online in Lagos, Nigeria.
- Mechanical Strength of Tempered Glass = 5x Mechanical strength of Annealed Glass
- Tempered/Toughened glass is four to five times stronger than annealed glass of the same size and thickness against impact.
- Tempered glass has higher thermal strength, and it can withstand high temperature changes up to 250°C.
- Tempered/Toughened glass is considered as safety glass. It is difficult to break and even in the event of a breakage, disintegrates into small relatively harmless globules.
- Tempering does not alter the basic characteristics of glass such as light transmission and solar radiant heat properties of normal glass.
- The glass surface after heat treatment has the same resistance to surface damage as annealed glass.
- Tempered/Toughened glass cannot be cut or altered.
- Strength & Safety Considerations
- Four to five times stronger than annealed glass
- Two to three times stronger than heat strengthened glass
- Fragments into small, relatively harmless pieces, reducing the likelihood of injury.
Need for Tempered/Toughened Glass especially in Lagos, Nigeria:
There is an increasing need for the use of tempered/toughened glass in Lagos, Nigeria especially in specific areas of the building such as shower cubicle, front door and table tops. Glass.com.ng has provided the best means to buy tempered/toughened glass online
Tempering increases tensile strength, thermal shock resistance, and safety of normal glass. It also increases its heat withstanding capacity. Because of these properties, tempered glass is preferred in applications where strength, safety and thermal resistance are important considerations.
You can order for your tempered/toughened glass of any dimension and thickness online in Lagos and any other places within Nigeria by clicking on this link provided http://glass.com.ng/order-online/ and get it delivered to you.Read more....